Commissioners Vote to Fund School Security Projects
The Board of County Commissioners voted 4-1 to give the Board of Education $650,000 to complete security projects.
The Board of County Commissioners has voted to give the Board of Education (BOE) additional funding to accelerate existing school access security projects.
In an email to parents earlier this week, School Superintendent Stephen Guthrie said that the school system has been adding controlled entry access to county schools over the past several years. Following the school schooting in Connecticut last week, the Board of Education asked the commissioners for additional funding to accelerate these projects in order to complete controlled entry point projects at all schools more quickly.
According to a county government news release, the board of education requested $300,000 to complete projects in the schools deemed to have the highest need for access security. A total of $650,000 is needed to complete the access security in each of the 43 county schools, officials said.
Commissioner Doug Howard said that the cost of accelerating all the projects, the full $650,000, should be approved, with $325,000 coming from money set aside to improve the Wheeler Building and the balance coming from remaining balances in other completed school projects, according to the news release.
Commissioners Haven Shoemaker, David Roush and Richard Rothschild voted Thursday to approve the appropriation while Commissioner Robin Frazier opposed the motion, according to the news release.
The Commissioners also strongly support the board of education decision to create a task force to study security measures throughout the school system, according to the news release. The task force will make recommendations for additional procedures, training or facility improvements that should be made to improve the safety of students in public schools. Recommendations will be considered during the FY14 budget process.