McDaniel Professor Needs Votes for MVP Award
McDaniel College Biology teacher Dr. Ralene Mitschler is one of 10 professors nominated in the Most Valuable Professor Competition.
A McDaniel College professor is in the running for a national Most Valuable Professor award with voting in the competition beginning Monday, April 23. The contest is sposored by Questia, an online library and research tool for students, and gives college students the opportunity to recognize the professors who have had the biggest impact on their educations.
McDaniel College biology professor Dr. Ralene Mitschler was nominated by McDaniel sophomore Stanley Rapiey.
"Dr. Ralene Mitschler has helped me with so much in the two years that I have known her," Rapiey said. "She was the first person to help me with classes in my major. Not only has she been one of the best teachers I have ever had, she has also helped me with other problems. She is one of the few teachers that I have had that does not only care about the classroom environment but also outside the class."
These top ten finalists are vying for Questia's first-ever national title of Most Valuable Professor. McDaniel College is the only Maryland college to be named in the competition.
- Dr. Jamie Ward, Communications at University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- Dr. Ralene Mitschler, Biology at McDaniel College, Maryland.
- Julia Corine-Barnes, Spanish at Berry College, Georgia.
- Dr. Patrick McCauley, Religious Studies at Chestnut Hill College, Pennsylvania.
- Kenneth Cherry, Marketing at Central Michigan University.
- Jeannie Harmon, Child Development at Santa Rosa Junior College, California.
- Dr. Michael Anders, Music at University of Findlay, Ohio.
- Daniel L. Lemisch, Criminal Justice at Henry Ford Community College, Michigan.
- Dave Miller at Queens College, Mathematics at City University of New York
- Mike Eddy, Film at Century College, Minnesota.
In addition to awarding the MVP title, Questia will create three $2,500 scholarships in the winning professor's name, according to a news release. The reigning MVP will also become part of the team that selects the scholarship recipients. Scholarship criteria will be determined at a later date with input from the MVP.
To vote, please visit Questia's Facebook page. Voting will end on April 29.