A Silver Spring man was uninjured after his homemade helicopter crashed into an open field in Westminster Tuesday afternoon, according to police.
The Carroll County Sheriff's Office reports that Amirkhanian Shahram, 58, of Silver Spring, was the sole occupant of the aircraft. He was conscious at the scene with no apparent injuries, according to police.
The aircraft hit a power line next to the field before hitting the ground and coming to a rest in the 700 block of Oak Tree Road in Westminster, police said. BGE responded to the scene and no residents were reported without power, according to officials.
The heavily damaged aircraft was removed to a secure site for further investigation by National Transportation Safety Board and Federal Aviation Administration, which is expected to take several weeks.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Master Deputy Brandon Holland at 410-386-2900
See More on Patch
- Police: Suicidal Man Escaped Hospital, Broke Into Home in Westminster
- Update: Man in Critical Condition Following Motorcycle Accident in Westminster
- Carroll County Law Enforcement to Conduct Sobriety Checkpoint
- Police: Suicidal Motorist from Westminster Kills Reisterstown Woman, Hospitalizes Self in Crash
- Police: Westminster Couple Charged in Rash of Burglaries