What You Need to Know: Carroll County this Week
Your local Patch editor highlights important news and events happening this week in Carroll County.
Carroll County Public Schools
- Carroll County Public Schools students do not have school Tuesday, Feb. 20. Teachers report for professional development.
- There will be two education forums held this week: Wednesday, Feb. 20 at Liberty High School at 7 p.m. and Thursday, Feb. 21 at Manchester Valley High School at 7 p.m.
Carroll County Government
- Carroll County commissioner will meet for open session (with a public comment period) on Thursday, Feb. 21 at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. See their meeting agenda here.
- Commissioners Howard, Shoemaker and Frazier will host an "Around the County in 80 Minutes" community discussion at Carroll Vista in Taneytown at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 19.
Carroll County Sheriff's Office
- The Carroll County Sheriff's Office will be conducting a sobriety checkpoint on Friday, Feb. 22 on Hanover Pike in Hampstead after 10 p.m. Read more here.
Weather this Week
- The National Weather Service is predicting a wintry mix on Tuesday morning and all day Friday. Read the Carroll County forecast for the week here.
Community (event/announcements posted by Patch users)
- In celebration of Heart Health Month, Carroll Hospital Center presents "Heart of the Matter: Women and Heart Disease," a free presentation by Hamalatha Naganna, M.D., Chief of Cardiology on Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 7 p.m. at Carroll Hospital Center. See the event listing here.
- The Distinguished Young Women of Carroll County Scholarship Program is seeking current high school juniors (Class of 2014) to compete for significant college scholarships and the opportunity to advance to the state finals. The program will be held at Francis Scott Key High School on Sunday, Feb 24 at 3:30 p.m. See the event listing here.
- Central Maryland Rehabilitation Services is offering a free Injury Screening at the Y of Central Maryland in Westminster. A Physical therapist will be on hand to offer screenings and offer advice to participants from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19. See the event listing here.