Baltimore/DC: Worst Drivers in America

Find out where Baltimore and DC rank in terms of accident data.

Think drivers are bad where you live?

You may not be alone.

A new Allstate Insurance Company report names Baltimore and DC as two of the places with the worst drivers in America.

The 2012 Best Drivers Report ranks DC as the worst place in the nation for drivers and Baltimore one step behind.

The report ranks America’s largest cities in terms of car collision frequency to make a ranking on which places have the best drivers.

Tell us in comments: What are your biggest gripes about drivers in your area? How could they improve?

The report ranked cities according to average years between accidents and relative accident likelihood compared to the national average.

Sioux Falls, SD, was ranked the number one place for “best drivers,” according to the report.

DC received the lowest rank among the 200 cities studied that had available data: 195. Baltimore was ranked 194, the second lowest slot on the list.

According to the report, residents go, on average, 4.7 years between accidents in DC and 5.3 years between accidents in Baltimore.

In Sioux Falls, the average is 13.8 years between accidents, the report stated.

The report also analyzed company claim data to calculate the likelihood that drivers will get in an accident compared to the national average.

Sioux Falls drivers are 27.6 percent less likely to get in a car accident compared to the national average, the report stated. DC drivers are 112.1 percent more likely to get in an accident compared to the national average.  In Baltimore, it’s 87.9 percent more likely.

This isn’t the first time Maryland has received bad marks for driving.

A GMAC insurance report in 2011 said Maryland drivers ranked 49 out of 51 in terms of how they scored on a written test on road rules, according to the Baltimore Sun.

See related links:

Buck Harmon September 02, 2012 at 11:44 AM
WOW ! This was a refreshing thread to read...learned a lot about driving and there was no name calling....how cool is that...??!!
Mike M September 02, 2012 at 07:32 PM
I chuckle at the people that get all upset about people signalling and moving into "their" lane. If there's a decent gap, then I signal to let you know I'm going, and then I'm going. If you're paying attention and keeping a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, it should be a non-issue anyways. If I see somebody trying to get in, I back off the accelerator and let them in. No. Big. Deal.
Mike R September 04, 2012 at 12:10 AM
It all comes down to patience. 95% of the drivers on the roads cooperate with each other. Its the other 5% that ruin it for everyone else. Big rig and motorcycle drivers are well aware of this.
Other Tim September 04, 2012 at 12:46 AM
You obviously are not the problem. It's the ones who put their signal on AS they are changing lanes (not before) to squeeze between two cars. Maybe the two cars that driver is squeezing between are too close together, but that does not seem to bother the idiots who do it. Too many people today seem to feel everyone must get out of their way. Also, too many people don't seem to understand the concept of yielding coming on to a highway. If a driver coming onto a highway forces a car already on the highway to have to hit the brakes, he or she has created a hazard. Sometimes in life, you just have to wait your turn!
Andrea D September 18, 2012 at 02:18 PM
@fred - Even if they are going the speed limit, if the person in the left lane is able to get over into the right lane, they should, when someone behind them approaches at a faster rate of speed. It is not up to you to police the other car's speed. That action usually brings upon road rage from the driver behind you or their zipping fastly into the right hand lane and back into the left lane in front of you, sometimes at a close distance. Too me, it is not worth the risk. I just get over in the right lane and let them continue on their merry way and sometimes hope there is a cop ahead who pulls them over for their speeding :-)


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »