The Carroll Biz Challenge is a business startup contest for entrepreneurs in Carroll County. In addition to networking and business plan development, applicants will be competing to win a $5,000 prize.
Supported by the Carroll County Chamber of Commerce, the Carroll Biz Challenge helps encourage the entrepreneurial spirit in Carroll County's thriving small business community.
Wondering what new ideas are being pitched? Here's a rundown:
- Simply Paws: Founded by Donna Shybunko, this business is all about long and short-term dog care for seniors and others experiencing a debilitating health situation.
- Virtual Pixie: Virtual Pixie offers general administrative support services to small business entrepreneurs, services such as Database Management, Email Management, Calendar Management, Human Resources assistance, and Customer Service. Founded by Whitney Foskey.
- Only Unique: Only Unique provides custom edible and non-edible products for your special event. Founded by Chanda Wilkins.
- Optimal Wellness Center: Because we know that there is “No Quick Fix” for weight management, we
have designed our program to give our clients long term support during
their journey to their optimal weight. Founded by Dr. Laura Ruby.
- Stratosphere Trampoline: The first of its kind indoor
trampoline park in Carroll County where customers have a large, safe
environment in which to enjoy a variety of trampoline-based activities
including open jumping, dodge ball competitions, corporate team building
activities, fundraisers, various parties and more. Founded by Bryan Zuber.
- Sparkling Star Farm: The first truly
Community-Centered CSA, offering farm-fresh organic produce, herbs and flowers to its members; who with each share they purchase, are also
donating another share to a Carroll County family in need. Founded by Jennifer Trice.
- MuffinBomb: MuffinBomb provides extravagant arrays of fresh, mouthwatering, individually-wrapped muffins. Founded by Steve Lowe and Pinwheel Leister.
- VoiceVibes: Autonomy Engine will provide wearable, voice monitoring technology to
track the way we speak, and provide helpful feedback about how we come
across, and how we can improve. Founded by Debra and George Cancro.
- SAR Innovations: We are an early stage startup producing easy to understand and user
friendly documentation and data management software for search and
rescue professionals including volunteers and law enforcement officials. Founded by Brian Wagner.
- Silver Linings Lavender Farm: Silver Linings Lavender Farm will grow lavender, sell lavender
products, and ultimately become a land mark and destination for families
and various groups. Founder Dawn Pritchard.
- IndiThat: An individualized, creative, and customizable social
media site that connects users to what they love in their local
communities. Founded by Luke Fisher, Lance Garber, Jason Harder, Duane Martin.
- Modern Day Geek: Drawing inspiration from venues such as Comic-con, potential customers
will have the opportunity to browse a store front as opposed to online
shopping. Founded by Michael Fowler.
- ¡Adelante Español!: Promote Spanish second language acquisition through education and provide Spanish language translation and editing services. Founded by Amanda Knott.
- Capstone Construction of Maryland: Home remodeling that specializes in kitchen, bathroom, and basement renovation. Founded by Josh Killingsworth.
- Pictures of You Photography: Photojournalistic approach to capturing life’s precious moments and available photo library of local iconic images. Founded by Cindy Goddard.
Five Carroll Biz Challenge finalists will take the stage to deliver their best five minute business pitch, followed by 10 minutes of grueling Q&A from the four contest judges. After each entrepreneur has pitched, the audience and judges will cast their vote to decide who will win the $5,000 prize.
Buy tickets to the live event at http://carrollbizchallenge.com/live-contest/.