The results of the 24th Annual Governor’s Cup Competition were recently announced and several local wineries brought home the gold (and the silver and the bronze).
What is your favorite local winery? Tell us in comments.
Judges awarded 23 gold, 40 silver and 35 bronze medals to wines during the full-day event held in Timonium. Full results can be found on MarylandWine.com.
The following local wineries walked away with accolades and awards.
Linganore Winecellars, 13601 Glissans Mill Rd., Mt. Airy
- Best in Class: Best Sweet - Traminette 2011
- Gold medals: Indulgence 2010 and Traminette 2011
- Silver medals: Chambourcin 2007, Skipjack 2011, Sweet Chessie 2011
- Bronze medals: Abisso 2007, Effervescence 2010, Plum 2010
Black Ankle Vineyards, 14463 Black Ankle Rd., Mt. Airy
- Best in Class: Best Port - Terra Dulce II
- Gold medals: Crumbling Rock 2009, Terra Dulce II
- Silver medals: Bedlam 2011, Leaf Stone Syrah 2008
- Bronze medal: V.G.V. 2011
Detour Winery, 7933 Forest and Stream Club Rd., Keymar
- Gold medal: Red Raspberry 2011
- Silver medals: Black Raspberry 2011, Winter Solstice 2011
- Bronze medals: Crimson Glory 2011, Meadow Breeze 2011, Sauvignon Blanc 2011
Loew Vineyards, 14001 Liberty Rd., Mt. Airy
- Gold medal: Cabernet Franc 2009
- Silver medal: Harvest Red 2009
- Bronze medal: Serendipity 2010
Cygnus Wine Cellars, 3130 Long Lane, Manchester
- Silver medals: Cygnus Red 2007, Port of Manchester 2010
- Bronze medals: Chardonnay 2011, Cygnus Rose 2011, Manchester Hall 2008
Elk Run, 15113 Liberty Rd., Mt. Airy
- Silver medals: Cabernet Franc 2010, Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, Merlot 2010, Pinot Noir 2010
- Bronze medal: Syrah 2010
- Silver medal: Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
- Bronze medal: Risque NV
Make the news come to you, subscribe to the free Westminster Patch newsletter to get local headlines in your inbox.