Two Carroll County men were listed in the Boy Scouts of America "Confidential Files" released on Oct. 18. The files contain allegations of sexual abuse against Boy Scout representatives.
The Baltimore Sun reports that more than 1,200 files detailed sexual abuse accusations tied to the Boy Scouts with 90 incidents placed in Maryland.
In one instance, a letter dated Sept. 16, 1983 from the National Office of the Boy Scouts of America said that a Westminster man, who was 33 at the time, had been accused of "homosexual activities" and subsequently asked to sever all ties with the Boy Scouts.
Further documentation said that an Eagle Scout had accused the man of asking him on several occasions to engage in oral sex and on one occasion, the child said the scout leader performed oral sex on him.
According to the records, the family chose not to file charges if the accused was removed from Boy Scouting forever. Information in the files indicate the accused man agreed to leave the Boy Scouts after confirming that there would be no criminal charges if he did so. He maintained he was innocent.
In another case that was added to the files in June 1976, a Westminster man, 25, was accused of fondling a boy scout's genitalia while the scout was performing a winter camping demonstration in the accused man's home.
It is unclear whether the family filed charges and there was no record of the accused's response to the allegations.
Patch, in keeping with the policy of other major news outlets including the Baltimore Sun and New York Times, is not naming the men accused of sexual abuse in the Boy Scout "Confidential Files" because many of the men listed in the files have not been charged or convicted of crimes.
Names of the accused are listed in the files that are available for public viewing. The names of the minors making accusations have been redacted from the files available for public viewing.
The "Boy Scout Files" were released on Oct. 18 in a sortable database by the law firm of attorney Kelly Clark after an Oregon Supreme Court upheld a ruling in 2012 that they be released.
In the notes on their release, the law firms involved note, "[We] make no representations or suggestions that any of the allegations in these files are in every case true. In fact, we are in no position to verify or attest to the truth of these allegations as they were compiled by the Boy Scouts of America."
The Boy Scouts begain filing complaints against inappropriate leaders in the 1920s, according to the New York Times.
The Boy Scouts of America issued a statement about the files noting that today the organization requires background checks, training programs for volunteers, staff and youths as well as mandatory reporting of even suspected abuse.
"There have been instances where people misused their positions in Scouting to abuse children," wrote Wayne Perry, National President of Boy Scouts of America, "and in certain cases, our response to these incidents and our efforts to protect youth were plainly insufficient, inappropriate, or wrong. Where those involved in Scouting failed to protect, or worse, inflicted harm on children, we extend our deepest apologies to victims and their families."