The said there has been a significant increase in the number of thefts from vehicles in the past several weeks.
Since May 20, there have been 21 cases of theft or tampering reported, according to police. The thefts are occurring during nightime hours and in almost every case the car, was unlocked when the theft or tampering occurred. Thefts have been reported in all areas of the city, indicating that whoever is responsible may be in a vehicle, police said.
Police report that articles stolen include a laptop computer, cameras, GPS units, jewelry and loose change.
A $250 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for these thefts police said. Anyone with information should contact the Westminster Police Department at 410-848‐4646.
The Westminster Police Department offers the following suggestions to minimize the chances that you or a member of your family will be the victim of these crimes:
- Always lock your car when it is unoccupied.
- Never leave articles of value inside your vehicle. Lock them in the trunk if you cannot take them with you.
- Park your vehicles in well lit areas.
- Record the serial numbers of all valuables routinely carried in your vehicle.
- Contact the police department immediately if you see anything suspicious in your neighborhood.