Carroll County residents can drop off dangerous household items and shred sensitive documents during an upcoming event sponsored by Carroll County Government Recycling Operations.
From 8 a.m. until noon on Saturday, Nov. 3, residents can drop items at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility, 1250 Old Meadow Branch Road in Westminster (off Md. Rt. 97, north of Westminster).
Items ACCEPTED at the household hazardous waste drop-off area include:
- gasoline or gas/oil mix,
- oil-base paints and thinners,
- photographic and pool chemicals,
- household cleaners,
- compact fluorescent light bulbs,
- fluorescentlight tubes,
- nickel-cadmium and NIMH batteries.
Items NOT ACCEPTED include:
- latex paint (dispose this with household trash after adding anabsorbent agent such as cat litter, sand, mulch or shredded paper),
- medications (unused and expired medications can be taken to the following police stations: Westminster, Taneytown, Sykesville, N.E.Greenmount; they do not accept syringes),
- rechargeable batteries,
- household batteries,
- medical and biohazard waste,
- radioactive material,
- compressed gas tanks andcylinders,
- items from commercial and industrial businesses or farms,
- vehicle batteries,
- antifreeze, (vehicle batteries, motor oil and antifreeze accepted year round at Northern LandfillRecycling Center, 1400 Baltimore Boulevard, Westminster; Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 4:30p.m.; Saturday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.)