- Feb. 4-8: National School Counseling Week
- Tuesday, Feb. 5: FY14 Operating Budget Hearing and Education Forum, 7 p.m. at South Carroll High School
- Friday, Feb. 8: Two Hour and 45 Minute Early Dismissal for Elementary Students, Professional Time for Teachers
- Monday, Feb. 11: Education Forum at Winters Mill High School at 7 p.m.
- Monday, Feb. 18: Schools/Offices Closed for President's Day
- Tuesday, Feb. 19: Schools Closed for Students, Professional Development Day for Teachers
Carroll County Public Schools superintendent Stephen Guthrie will be hosting a series of education forums for the community in February and March. During the forums, Mr. Guthrie will present information on the achievements and challenges of the school system. Topics will include the FY 14 Operating Budget, student testing requirements, Race to the Top, and the objectives of some changes to the curriculum. There also will be an opportunity for members of the community to ask questions.
The dates and locations for the education forums are listed below. All forums will begin at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 5 at South Carroll High School (forum and budget hearing)
- Monday, Feb. 11 at Winters Mill High School
- Wednesday, Feb. 20 at Liberty High School
- Thursday, Feb. 21 at Manchester Valley High School
- Monday, March 4 at Westminster High School
- Thursday, March 7 at Century High School
- Monday, March 18 at North Carroll High School
The dates for public presentation, review, and input to the Operating Budget for the Carroll County Public School System for the 2013 - 2014 school year are listed below:
- Tuesday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m., Public Hearing (with Citizen Participation) at South Carroll High School
- Wednesday, Feb. 27 at 1 p.m., Adoption of Board of Education’s Proposed FY 14 Budget during Board of Education meeting in Charles I. Ecker Boardroom, Board of Education Offices.
The proposed budget is available for review on the CCPS website at www.carrollk12.org under Featured News. Comments and suggestions may be submitted online at http://feedback.carrollk12.org or by U.S. mail to the Superintendent’s Office, Carroll County Public Schools, 125 North Court Street, Westminster, MD 21157.
Chocolate Festival – Westminster High School
The Westminster High School Class of 2016 is having their first Chocolate Festival on Saturday, Feb. 2, from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Westminster High School lobby. There will be 22 chocolate makers offering samples of their chocolate creations for you to try. You will also be able to purchase any of your favorites. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased from Karen Kohr at firstname.lastname@example.org
Westminster Region Side By Side Band and Orchestra Concert
The Instrumental Music Departments from the Westminster area schools will combine to perform in the annual Westminster Region Side By Side Band and Orchestra Concert on Wednesday, Feb. 13, at Westminster High School. The event will feature 5th grade musicians from Friendship Valley, Mechanicsville, and Westminster Elementary Schools, 8th grade musicians from Shiloh and West Middle Schools, and members of the Westminster High School Orchestra and Wind Ensemble.
The band members will gather that morning at Westminster High School to rehearse and meet the band directors of the schools they will be attending next year. The 5th grade musicians will also take part in an “Instrument Petting Zoo,” where they will be able to try out instruments that are needed in middle school and high school ensembles, but aren’t always offered at the elementary level. The day culminates in the concert, which will take place at 7:15 p.m. at Westminster High School.
This is the fifth year for the Westminster Region Side By Side Concert. It is the largest collaborative school music event in Carroll County and will include close to 300 student musicians. Partial funding for this event was provided by a grant from the Carroll County Public Schools Education Foundation.
Night of Jazz at St. John's – Liberty High School
The Liberty High School Instrumental Music Boosters will host a Night of Jazz with a New Orleans Mardi Gras style meal with jazz entertainment and dancing to follow on Saturday, Feb. 16, at 6 p.m. at the Portico at St. John’s Catholic Church in Westminster. Jazz entertainment will be provided by Mr. Bradley Collins and his group “Firm Roots.” Tickets are $50 per person and can be purchased in the LHS front office or band office.